Pricey Foundation Leaks
Foundation leaks are nothing to mess with. If they aren’t caught right away, they will quickly lead to all kinds of repair and damage costs. Foundation leaks can happen at any time of the year as well, not just during the rainy season. The only problem is the fact that it can be hard to spot a foundation leak. Here are some reminders to be on the lookout for signs of a leak:
Foundation leaks waste water
Foundation leaks waste a lot of water, and when they aren’t caught, one will start to notice an excessive increase in their water bill.
A foundation leak is similar to a pipe leak in the plumbing system, only it’s leaking through the foundation. This can only happen if the foundation shifts or is compromised due to severe flooding or old age.
Below are some signs of a foundation leak:
- Increased water bill
- Damp spots on floors and walls
- Standing water near the foundation
- Cracked ceilings and walls
- Sounds of running or dripping water
The cost of water damage
Another unfortunate cost of a foundation leak is water damage to the home and its foundation. There are all kinds of things that can be damaged from a foundation leak.
Some common water damages include:
- Waterlogged carpet and wood flooring
- Mold growing underneath the carpet
- Puts pressure on the foundation and causes it to crack
- It can cause damage to the drywall
- Damage electronics and furniture
Water might need to be pumped from the yard or home if the leak is bad enough. The different services a plumber will provide depend on how bad the damages are. It is important to call a plumbing professional the moment one notices a foundation leak. This is the only way to save their home from expensive damages.
Common foundation leak solutions
A plumber can fix a foundation leak without breaking through the foundation. There are two main methods of fixing foundation leaks properly.
- Pipe lining: Pipe lining is an economical solution to fixing a foundation leak. It only requires two access holes instead of direct access, which means less cost of repairs later!
- Cured-in-place pipe: This trenchless method essentially repairs a damage pipe by putting a flexible liner inside that then cures and hardens to replace the damaged one.
Regardless of the method one chooses, it’s always important to work with an experienced plumbing company to ensure all work is done properly and up to code.
Malek Service Company is here for you.
Malek is your trusted source for all things home repair. After 35 years in the home repair business, it’s safe to say that our experts have seen it all. Regardless of the issue our customers might face, Malek Service Company is there when life gets backed up.
February 9, 2021